LGBTQ+ Resource Center
The LGBTQ+ Resource Center strives to be the home you make with the family you choose.
Welcome to Virginia Tech, lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, and queer (LGBTQ+) and ally Hokies! The campus climate at Virginia Tech for LGBTQ students was given four out of five stars by CampusPride, and it continues to improve.
This website highlights the events, initiatives, programs, and services specifically aimed at or organized by the LGBTQ+ community.
Creation of the Center
The LGBTQ+ Resource Center at Virginia Tech was opened on August 15, 2016. The current LGBTQ+ Resource Center would not be possible without the advocacy and support of many past and present LGBTQ+ students, faculty, and staff representing HokiePRIDE (formerly LGBTA), the LGBT Staff and Faculty Caucus, previous LGBTQ+ coordinators, and the Ex Lapide Alumni Society. We thank you for your energy and fierce advocacy.
"We have to be visible. We should not be ashamed of who we are. We have to show the world that we are numerous. There are many of us out there."
- Sylvia Rivera, civil rights pioneer
We acknowledge the influence of oppression and discrimination existing in our society. We honor all LGBTQ+ activists who came before us, and those who will come after us for their contributions towards creating a safer, more inclusive environment for LGBTQ+ individuals.
We recognize that sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression exist at the intersections of race, ethnicity, gender, sex, culture, age, d/Disability status, class, and other identities and therefore result in varied lived experiences.
We value the dignity, diversity, and inherent worth of all people and work to support an inclusive space of belonging for all LGBTQ+ individuals.
We nurture and develop LGBTQ+ undergraduate and graduate students’ knowledge and leadership skills. We commit to providing opportunities and financial support to develop current and emerging leaders.
We provide resources and instruction for and regarding the varied experiences of LGBTQ+ communities.
We collaborate, partner, and engage in activism to make strides towards social equity with all Virginia Tech campuses and surrounding communities.
We acknowledge the historical oppression of LGBTQ+ communities and believe in the fundamental right to emotional, mental, physical, social, and spiritual well-being of these communities and each queer and trans individual.
- Q*mmunity Support Group – This mental & emotional health support group meets every Monday evening from 5:30-7pm welcomes folks who identify as LGBTQ+, as well as those who are exploring their gender and/or sexual identity, to connect and share their experiences.
- Gender Inclusive Housing (GIH) – GIH exists with the explicit goal of providing a housing experience with a sense of belonging and community for transgender, non-binary, and gender non-comforming students, as well as lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer, and questioning students and allies of the those communities.
- Career Services for LGBT Students – Virginia Tech Career Services offers resources and help to LGBT students.
- Chosen Names & Pronouns in Banner – Through a campus-wide working group, Virginia Tech has established new procedures whereby students can choose to indicate their personal pronouns, chosen names, and gender identification in university records systems (Banner).
Dr. Ashleigh Bingham - Director, LGBTQ+ Resource Center