The Pride Center strives to be the home you make with the family you choose.
The Pride Center (formerly the LGBTQ+ Resource Center) at Virginia Tech was opened on August 15, 2016 as a direct result of the advocacy and support of many past and present LGBTQ+ students, faculty, and staff. Today the Pride Center is first and foremost a queer and trans community center that offers a variety of annual programs which explore the identities and experiences of LGBTQ+ individuals and creates opportunities for those searching for community.
The Pride Center also offers various educational resources for non-LGBTQ+ folks including but not limited to our VirTual Safe Zone training program, which provides participants with the opportunity to explore their own experiences through the lens of queer and trans oppression and liberatory practices.
Through the efforts of our administrators, faculty, and staff, Virginia Tech has been granted four out of five stars by the Campus Pride Index. The Campus Pride Index has been the premier LGBTQ national benchmarking tool for colleges and universities to create safer, more inclusive campus communities.
Follow, Like, and Subscribe to the Pride Center
- Fluid: Professional Growth for LGBTQ+ Students
- Out in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (oSTEM)
- Queer and Trans People of Color (QTPOC)
- Queer Grads, Professionals, and Allies (QGPA)
- Students For Cultivating Change
- True Colors
- VTCC H.E.R.O (Helping Educate Regarding Orientation)
- Q*mmunity Support Group – Click to View Schedule - This mental & emotional health support group is facilitated in partnership with Cook Counseling Center. The group meets every Monday evening from 5:30 to 6:30pm and welcomes folks who identify as LGBTQ+, as well as those who are exploring their gender and/or sexual identity, to connect and share their experiences.
- Chosen Names & Pronouns in Banner – Through a campus-wide working group, Virginia Tech has established new procedures whereby students can choose to indicate their personal pronouns, chosen names, and gender identification in university records systems (Banner).
- All Gender/Single Stall Restrooms @ VT - A geographical information system (GIS) map has been created to identify specific facility characteristics in available All Gender Restrooms that may be of use to faculty, staff, students, and visitors.
- Gender Inclusive Housing (GIH) – GIH exists with the explicit goal of providing a housing experience with a sense of belonging and community for transgender, non-binary, and gender non-comforming students, as well as lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer, and questioning students and allies of the those communities.
- Lavender House Living-Learning Community - The Lavender House Living-Learning Community is a home of and for LGBTQ+ students and allies who want to learn about LGBTQ+ lived experiences as they are shaped by intersecting and marginalized identities.
- Queer Adventure Series - Each semester Venture Out hosts several trips as part of their Queer Adventure Series. Scroll through the list of this year’s trips and click on the ones with the prefix “Queer Adventure Series” to sign up.
- Career Services for LGBT+ Students – Virginia Tech’s office of Career and Professional Development offers resources and services to help LGBTQ+ students navigate career exploration and the job search.