LGBTQ+ Resource Center
Welcome to Virginia Tech, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ+) and ally Hokies! The campus climate at Virginia Tech for LGBTQ students was given three and a half out of five stars by CampusPride, and it continues to improve.
This website highlights the events, initiatives, programs, and services specifically aimed at or organized by the LGBTQ+ community.
Creation of the Center
The LGBTQ+ Resource Center at Virginia Tech was opened on August 15, 2016. This is the first time a dedicated center with a full-time staff member is in place at Virginia Tech. Previously, a student-run center was overseen by HokiePRIDE. The current LGBTQ+ Resource Center would not be possible without the advocacy and support of many past and present LGBTQ+ students, faculty, and staff representing HokiePRIDE (formerly LGBTA), the LGBT Staff and Faculty Caucus, previous LGBTQ+ coordinators, and the Ex Lapide Alumni Society. We thank you for your energy and fierce advocacy.
Luis H. Garay (they/their) - Director
"We have to be visible. We should not be ashamed of who we are. We have to show the world that we are numerous. There are many of us out there."
- Sylvia Rivera, civil rights pioneer
- Queer and Trans People of Color (QTPOC)
- Queer Grads, Professionals, and Allies (QGPA)
- Q*mmunity Support Group
- Out in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (oSTEM)
- Prism Society
- VTCC H.E.R.O (Helping Educate Regarding Orientation)
- The Interloper, Virginia Tech's LGBTQ+ Magazine
- LGBT Faculty and Staff Caucus
- Ex Lapide Alumni Society for LGBTQ+ and Allies
- Students For Cultivating Change
- Career Services for LGBT Students – Virginia Tech Career Services offers resources and help to LGBT students.
- Cook Counseling Center – Thomas E. Cook Counseling Center provides individual counseling and group counseling for enrolled undergraduate and graduate students at Virginia Tech. Consultation and outreach services are provided for Virginia Tech faculty, staff, and student organizations.
- Dean of Students Office – The Advocacy Team in the Dean of Students Office makes connections and provides resources for all Virginia Tech students in times of personal emergency and crisis.
- HokiePRIDE – This is the LGBTQ+ University Chartered Student Organization, housed by Cultural and Community Centers (CCC). CCC also advises other cultural student organizations, such as the Latino Association of Student Organizations, the Asian American Student Union, and the Black Organization Council.
- Safe Zone – This program ensures certain areas on campus are safe for any person, regardless their gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, etc.
- View a map of the gender inclusive restrooms on campus.
- InclusiveVT – InclusiveVT is a framework that creates active, intentional engagement of Virginia Tech communities. It is led by a newly established President's Inclusion and Diversity Executive Council.
- Women's Center – Provides individual services, counseling, and advocacy. There are also numerous educational programs and other resources about sexual assault, violence against women, etc.
- American Institute of Bisexuality
- Asexuality Visibility and Education Network
- Campus Pride
- Go Grad: scholarships & Financial Aid for LGBTQ Students
- Intersex Society of North America
- LGBTQ Architect – "These resources, compiled from campus resource programs across the country, are free as part of a grant-funded project sponsored by the Calamus Foundation, the LGBTA Student Resource Center at Penn State University, and the Consortium of higher Education LGBT Resource Professionals."
- National Center for Transgender Equality
- National LGBTQ Task Force
- Online Colleges: Choosing An LGBTQ-Friendly College
- Trans Student Educational Resources
- Equality Virginia – "Equality Virginia is a statewide, non-partisan lobbying, education and support network for the gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and straight allied (GLBT) communities in Virginia."
- Parents, Families & Friends of Lesbians & Gays of the New River Valley (PFLAG NRV)
- Roanoke Diversity Center
- The Drop-In Center – “Please come visit us for free oral rapid HIV testing, information about HIV and STDs as well as to pick up some free condoms and dental dams!”
- Planned Parenthood - Blacksburg
Open and Affirming Places of Faith
- Blacksburg Presbyterian Church
701 Church St SE Blacksburg, VA 24060-5213
- Christ Episcopal Church
120 Church Street NE, Blacksburg, VA 24063
- Cooper House (Campus Presbyterian Ministry)
305 Washington St. SW, Blacksburg, VA 24060
- DUST Covenant Church
618 North Main St., Blacksburg, VA 24060
- Episcopal Campus Ministries @ VT (Canterbury Fellowship)
204 East Roanoke Street, Blacksburg, VA 24060
- Glade Church
1600 Glade Rd., Blacksburg, VA 24060
- Hillel at Virginia Tech
710 Toms Creek Rd.
- Luther Memorial Lutheran Church
600 Prices Fork Rd., Blacksburg, VA 24060
- Metropolitan Community Church of the Blue Ridge
806 Jamison Avenue SE, Roanoke, VA 24013
- Unitarian Universalist Congregation
1301 Gladewood Dr. Blacksburg, VA 24060