Cultural and Community Centers
Advocacy. Advising. Awareness.
We're here to advocate for a safe, inclusive environment and to advise students as they navigate life at VT. Through programming and events, we raise cultural awareness and invite the community to learn about and develop an appreciation for cultural differences.
Resisting Xenophobia and Showing Support for Asian Pacific Islander Desi Americans (APIDA)
Since the start of COVID-19, there have been over 3900 documented anti-Asian hate crimes—an increase of 1900%. As educators, it is our responsibility to resist false narratives that fuel xenophobic crimes and to decolonize thinking that props up model minority and orientalist stereotypes. As educators, it is our responsibility--collectively and individually--to reflect, read, learn, and act toward justice, and to understand the intersections of identities that shape our lived experiences.
Learn how to prevent, interrupt, and respond to harassment and violence. Attend Bringing in the Bystander training
See Something Say Something
Do you think you might have witnessed bias? Have you been impacted by bias?
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice: https://advancingjustice-aajc.org/
- Hate is a Virus: https://hateisavirus.org/
- Hollaback Bystander Training: https://www.ihollaback.org/bystanderintervention
- Intercollegiate APIDA Coalition: https://www.instagram.com/ic.apida.coalition
- Next Shark: https://nextshark.com/about/
- No Hate VA: https://www.oag.state.va.us/programs-initiatives/no-hate-va
- Red Canary Song: https://www.redcanarysong.net/
Stop AAPI Hate: https://stopaahate.org
- Mental Health Support:
- Crisis Text Line: Text “STEVE” to 741741 for free 24/7 crisis counseling, specifically for POC.
- National Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-8255