Welcome to Virginia Tech, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ+) and ally Hokies! The campus climate at Virginia Tech for LGBTQ students was given three and a half out of five stars by CampusPride, and it continues to improve.
The following are LGBTQ+ organizations for undergraduates, graduate students, faculty and staff, and alumni:
- Queer and Trans People of Color (QTPOC)
- Queer Grads, Professionals, and Allies (QGPA)
- Q*mmunity Support Group
- Out in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (oSTEM)
- Prism Society
- VTCC H.E.R.O (Helping Educate Regarding Orientation)
- The Interloper, Virginia Tech's LGBTQ+ Magazine
- LGBT Faculty and Staff Caucus
- Ex Lapide Alumni Society for LGBTQ+ and Allies
- Students For Cultivating Change
This website highlights the events, initiatives, programs, and services specifically aimed at or organized by the LGBTQ+ community.
Creation of the Center
The LGBTQ+ Resource Center at Virginia Tech was opened on August 15, 2016. This is the first time a dedicated center with a full-time staff member is in place at Virginia Tech. Previously, a student-run center was overseen by HokiePRIDE. The current LGBTQ+ Resource Center would not be possible without the advocacy and support of many past and present LGBTQ+ students, faculty, and staff representing HokiePRIDE (formerly LGBTA), the LGBT Staff and Faculty Caucus, previous LGBTQ+ coordinators, and the Ex Lapide Alumni Society.We thank you for your energy and fierce advocacy.
"We have to be visible. We should not be ashamed of who we are. We have to show the world that we are numerous. There are many of us out there."
- Sylvia Rivera, civil rights pioneer