February 1 – February 29 #VTBHM
February is Black History Month and a time to commemorate African-Americans who have changed the world. Celebrating Black History began in 1926, when Carter G. Woodson, Ph.D., a Harvard graduate, initiated Negro History Week. Woodson, a historian, chose the second week in February because it included the birthdays of Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln.
Cultural and Community Centers is proud to provide a schedule of events surrounding this momentous celebration. As many celebrate Black History Month, CCC will be including additional information from the community as it becomes available (check this site frequently for the most current information).
The bus trip to DC is full at this time. Thank you for your interest!
2017 CULTURAL EXCURSION TO DC
FOR VT STUDENTS ONLY
Black Organizations Council, Black Cultural Center, Virginia Tech Alumni Association, Office for Inclusion and Diversity, Moss Arts Center and the Division of Student Affairs Presents:
The time is here for the 1st annual 2017 Black History Month fieldtrip to the Museum of African American History and Culture in Washington D.C.!
Date: Saturday, February 18th, 2017
Time: 4:00am the bus departs from the Squires Student Parking Lot and returns to campus at midnight! It will be a busy and exciting day!
- 4:00am-10:00am: Travel to Washington, D.C. with break
- 10:00am-2:30pm: Museum visit, group lunch at the museum’s Sweet Home Cafe and small group museum discussion
- 4:00pm-6:00pm: Virginia Tech Alumni panel and networking at the Northern Virginia Urban League Young Center
- 4:15pm: Welcome, Introductions, Acknowledgements
- 4:25pm: Panel Discussion
- 5:00pm: Networking/Tour of the Freedom House Museum where slave and activist Solomon Northup, from 12 Years A Slave, traveled!
- 6:00pm: Closing Remarks
- 6:00pm-12:00am: Travel to Blacksburg, VA
***Attendees are financially responsible for purchasing their own meals, souvenirs, etc. while on the trip; we will cover admission (Urban League Center), transportation and reception refreshments. We recommend bringing $35-50 dollars for meals. If you encounter any difficulties with paying for meals, please let me know before the trip (firstname.lastname@example.org).